Search engine marketing (SEM) is similar to SEO in that the goal is also to increase your website's visibility in SERPs (search engine results pages) - but the techniques used are much different. SEM involves driving the search engine results externally to from you’re your website and generally paying for advertisements and placements using platforms like Google Adwords, Microsoft Adcenter, and/or other relevant sites in your space that offer ad programs that target potential prospects.
Decentrix does provide some unique SEM services for our Premium Plus Retailers that do not require the payment for advertising. This is built into the search engine results for the major search engines for every new Premium Plus Retailer.
Details below outline the key elements of the steps and value if you wish to also use paid advertising in a SEM model.
SEM is a good way to get immediate traffic to your site, and can often be used for effective lead generation. Some specific advantages are describe below:
- Immediate exposure - get to the first page of Google instantly (at a cost)
- Keyword targeting - target all/any keywords desired
- Cost-effective - only pay for traffic you receive (visitors that come to your site directly as a result off an ad you have paid for)
- Budget control - decide how much or little you want to spend
- and more...
Hiring SEM Professionals
SEM can quickly become very costly, which is why it's important to carefully decide on an SEM professional before starting your campaign. Some useful questions to ask include:
- Can you provide examples of previous campaigns you've done that were successful?
- Are you Google Adwords certified?
- Do you offer any services other than SEM?
- Do you have experience managing SEM campaigns for DISH Network Retailer sites?
- What do you consider your most important SEM techniques?
- How long have you been in business?
Below are some popular ad platforms to get started: